- The game is a sprint race, which requires a man (with a woman upon his shoulders) to run/walk (as fast as possible) and complete three "laps" of a Swimming Pool that is both shallow and flat-floored (i.e. a "short course" Swimming Pool, or something similar).
- A team consists of one man and one woman, and three teams take part in a Race (with each team having one out of three Lanes in the Pool for itself while buzzers/bells that the female member of each team must press at the end of every lap are located at both ends of each Lane).
- Every Race consists of three "laps", which means that each team races across the length of the Pool, three times; a total distance of about 240 feet (or 72 meters) is covered by each team since a "lap" is usually about 80 feet (or 24 meters) in length.
- During the first "lap" - the female partner stands upright on the shoulders of her male partner (and only her lower limbs can be gripped by him at this time); during each of the next two "laps" - the female partner sits on the shoulders of her male partner.
- The male partner (with his partner upon his shoulders) runs/walks across the length of the pool, three times, thereby covering a total distance of about 3 X 80 = 240 feet (or 3 X 24 = 72 meters); the first team to successfully complete that total distance (i.e. all three "laps") wins the Race.